The reason I'm thinking of her this morning is that I saw an article in my facebook feed - it mentioned her by name, and I was curious what they would say. This particular paragraph struck a chord...
I would do my best to end well, said the young mother of four, who knows that absent a miracle, she won’t live to see her children grow up. Cancer is a refining fire; the world is seeing what Kara Tippetts is made of, and I tell you, it is an inspiration so profound it almost makes me shake.It's a worthwhile article. I'd encourage you to read the whole thing and to follow Kara's blog. There is something deep, profound, and heartbreakingly honest in how she writes. She is full of grace, and she is graciously allowing us to journey with her into the darkness. The farther she goes the brighter she shines.
In some ways, cancer is a crucible - a fiery ordeal that presses in on us and burns away the chaff, revealing what's really inside. In other ways, less dramatically perhaps, life does the exact same thing. Gradually over time, the fears and doubts and toil inevitably take their toll. They show us as we really are. But, if we let them, God can use them to shape us, to refine us.
I feel like that's happening here in Austin, as we learn to lean into our story of need and uncertainty. I wonder if it's revealing what we are made of? Perhaps you wonder the same thing about your story?
Not a lot more to say on this, but I am grateful for the reminder that this is how God works - refining us - and I'm gradually learning to be thankful for the crucible of life, because without it, I'd have no idea of how much I need grace, how much I need Christ.
If you are someone who prays, please pray for us, and pray for Kara - but also pray that God would refine you the way he's refining her - so that when we all finally see what we're made of, it might point people to a God who saves.
