Another year graciously given to us by God. What will happen? Who will we meet? Who will repent and believe for the very first time? We actually have no idea what the answers to these questions will be. It has occurred to me that this is a good thing.
God in his infinite wisdom gives us one day at a time. We would be seriously overwhelmed and destroyed if we knew the whole of it. The same applies to our sin. He let's us see just enough so that we need to repent each day. If we knew all of it we would surely perish.
Without Christ we either go through life feeling guilty or we just walk away from all relationships so we are not hurt by them. But Jesus came to give us the third way to live. It can also be referred to as the way of the gospel. It is prideful and very arrogant not to accept God's forgiveness both for ourselves and for others. It's like saying to God. "I will be the judge of that".
It's a tragic and sinful choice to make. But it's the one we make more often than not.
"Lord, help me to love you and then others out of your love and grace for me."
There is a scripture reference I wrote out in my journal which you can look up for yourselves. (II Corinth ins 4:7-11)
What I realized through this reflection is that if I depend on my own ability to see rhyme or reason in the way God works my emotions will fail me every time. I need to keep going deeper into God's character and continue to each day, consciously choose to trust what I know of Him and His love for me.